Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Fried Pies




I have always liked to cook and I am a good cook. However, baking and fried pies have never been a talent of mine. Most of the time, you have to follow long recipes when you bake, and therein lies my problem.

My cousin gave me some apples that she had dried and sealed.  She told me that I could make some fried apple pies. She told me how to cook the apples and that was easy enough. They tasted good when they were done.

I googled recipes for fried apple pies and found one that didn’t look hard, in fact, it looked too simple to be true. All you had to do was roll out canned biscuits.

So, I got out my pastry board and my rolling pin thinking this is going to be a snap. WRONG!!! As I was rolling out the first one, I had to answer the phone.  I only talked a minute and returned to my task of rolling out the biscuits.  To my utter surprise, the dough had shrunk back to almost the original size of the biscuit. Are you kidding me!!!  It was paper thin when I left it. So, I rolled it again and quickly put the apple filling in it.  Yeah! I had it down pat now and I rolled a second one.  The recipe said to cook two at a time and to stay with them. So, I heated the oil as directed and put my first two in the pan. Feeling very good that I gotten this far, I looked at them and they had puffed up like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. No! This was not supposed to happen.

But, I had started this and I needed to finish this batch. I rolled the rest of the can of biscuits, even cut the dough in half, hoping to at least have only baby Pillsbury Dough Boys. Why did I ever think this would turn out for me? Oh well, I got them all cooked. I had strong urges to throw them all away, but I tasted one. While too doughy, they did taste okay – I didn’t say good, they were just okay.

I am determined to master this, so, I will use my own recipe for pie dough which I am sure will not rise. If you don’t see me around for a couple of days, you’ll know that I have perfected it and having fun, or that I have simply become overwhelmed and am crying in my Diet Pepsi.

My husband would have given me a hug and said, “Nice try, Honey, better luck next time."  We’ll see.


1 comment:

  1. That dough is tricky--I've had the exact same thing happen to me in other recipes that suggested using premade biscuit dough. EPIC FAIL!

    Got a chuckle from your blog today. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete