Monday, January 2, 2012

Christmas - 2011

I enjoyed Christmas  so much, even my last minute shopping.  I didn't like the stores that didn't have shopping carts though. What's an old lady supposed to do, buy one thing at a time?  I dared not drop anything because there was a chance if I stooped down to get it, I couldn't get upright again…it could happen! 
         
One of my most frustrating shopping trips was going to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things in the grocery section. I went down one aisle and there  appeared to  be a family reunion going on. They were all talking and laughing. I was tempted to stand and listen, but instead, I turned my cart around to go down the next aisle and then back up that reunion aisle to get what I needed. Alas, it didn't work. They had moved down to where the products that I needed were. So, I politely said "Excuse me, may I get by?."  Didn't work.  So, I got the attention of one of the youngsters with them, and asked him if he would get me a can of Coffeemate.  He said, "What's that?"  I tried to explain to him what it was and where it was on the shelf.  He looked at me with a puzzled look on his face and turned and tugged on his mother's shirt and said,  "That lady needs something to help her drink her coffee."  The lady looked at me and I smiled and asked for a can of Coffeemate.  She laughed and handed me a container of the stuff that helps me drink coffee.  I said "Thank you, and  Merry Christmas."   But they didn't move. (sigh)


 At that point my patience was running thin.  But, I needed to get a few more things. I got all of the items that I needed, and started to check out.  When I walked in, there were maybe two registers that were busy, but when I got up to the front..well almost to the front…the lines were long  at every register that was open.  All I could think was that God was chuckling  at my impatience, knowing I would have to wait.  Hey, He has a sense of humor. ..He made me. :) 

Every time, I became frustrated, tired, and even a little angry, it seemed to me I could hear Him whisper in my ear, "All you need to do for the Son's birthday is to love me, do the work that I have laid out for you, and give thanks to Him who died to give you eternal life."  And I would answer, "Thank you Lord for your understanding, and your Son, He is the reason for the Season."

1 comment: